By Marianne Sciucco
Most likely, you know someone caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or dementia. With 5.4 million Americans affected, this disease affects the lives of so many of our families, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. We may feel inclined to do something, to help, but may not know what to do, or how to do it, or when.
The Christmas season provides us with the perfect opportunity to reach out to provide support, caring, understanding, and of course a meaningful gift. A book can be at the top of that list, because caregivers are often thirsting for knowledge, longing for support, or searching for guidance to help them get through their challenging days. What better way to learn than through the experiences and stories of others?
And don’t forget that, in addition to the caregivers, many others are in need of Alzheimer’s resources, such as your physician or nurse, a care facility in your neighborhood, the visiting nurse or home care agency staff, and your town or school’s lending library.
Here are twelve reasons to visit the AlzAuthors Bookstore for the perfect present:
- You will not find a more easily navigable assortment of books on the Alzheimer’s experience anywhere else.
- Every book in our bookstore was vetted by the founders of AlzAuthors, all of whom have experience as caregivers. Each was carefully evaluated for content and quality prior to inclusion. You can be assured that you are purchasing a quality book.
- Most of the books are the personal stories of their authors, or have arisen out of deeply personal experience with the disease. The stories contain truth, and are often heart-wrenching, sometimes heartbreaking. They are compelling, believable, and honest.
- The books are available in a variety of formats – print, digital, audio – which will satisfy any reader.
- The titles cover multiple genres: memoir, fiction (including young adult and children’s), and nonfiction. There’s something for everyone. Our categories: Caring for Parents or Grandparents; Caring for Spouses or Partners; Living with Alzheimer’s/Dementia; Books for Children and Teens; and Helpful Information For Caregivers.
- The books are easily purchased via Amazon. Please visit an individual book’s page on AlzAuthors to find its availability on iBooks, Kobo, Barnes and Noble, and other retailers.
- A book is a gift that can be used again and again. These resources can be read and reread, and consulted at any time.
- A book can be regifted, shared with others who may need its wisdom and know-how.
- There’s a perfect price for every shopper. Most ebooks start at just 2.99, and paperbacks run around $10-20.
- Books are easy to wrap, especially ebooks.
- The small ones make excellent stocking stuffers.
- You can support your favorite books and authors by sharing them with others.
AlzAuthors is an Amazon Affiliate and will receive a small commission from books purchased through our bookstore. These funds are used to cover costs associated with running AlzAuthors and do not affect the actual author’s royalties or cost the buyer additional fees.